RUBICON TRAIL IS CLOSED
This Winter has been epic! As of May 20, 2017, monitoring protocols have been met so the current conditions warrant CLOSURE of the Rubicon Trail. Loon Lake to the Intertie is not effected by this closure, however, it is important from a safety standpoint that only very prepared vehicles and experienced drivers attempt traveling on the trail in this area.
Just as a reminder, here are some tips for a safe trip:
- Bring extra food, water and warm clothes
- Bring a chainsaw, as there will be downed trees
- Have a winch and recovery gear as melt and run off are going to cause large holes under the snow that may not be visible from the driver seat or even on foot
- Means of communication, preferably Ham Radio and know how to use it
- Do not travel alone
- Have an exit plan
- Let someone know where you are going and when you are expecting to return
- Bring tools & spare parts
- Use WAG BAGS & Spill Kits
- Pack it in/Pack it out
There is no way to be fully prepared for what may happen out there, but these tips will help if things go wrong.
Here are some additional winter use tips and recommendations for the trail.