Road Closures due to Flooding Runoff from the historic snowpack in the Sierra has closed several Inyo County roads. Residents and visitors are reminded that some roads are equipped with gates that physically block vehicle access; other roads rely on signage to inform the public. A road closure is meant to block all vehicular traffic; this includes motorized vehicles (ATVs, motorcycles, cars).
Emergency response personnel are often asked:
Can I walk, ride a bike, or ski past a road closure?
If there is road construction or a road clearing operation there may be an additional sign posted stating “No Pedestrian Traffic”; If you see this sign you may not enter on foot, skis, or bicycle. If you do not see this sign you may walk, ski, or ride a bicycle at your own risk.
What could happen if I ignore a road closure?
Ignoring a posted sign is an infraction and you may be cited under CA Vehicle Code 21461(a).
CURRENT ROAD CLOSURES: These are subject to change
• Lower Rock Creek Road, from Pine Creek to Birchim Lane, CLOSED due to flooding. Alternate route for the community of 40 Acres is via Gorge Road. Date closed: 6/20/17
• Pine Creek Road, west of Rovana, CLOSED due to potential for flooding. Date closed: 6/20/17
• North Round Valley Road, north of Pine Creek Road, CLOSED due to flooding (bridge damage). Date closed: 6/20/17
• Newman Street, about 1 mile north of Stewart Ranch Road near Big Pine. CLOSED due to potential for flooding. Date closed: 6/20/17
• Tinemaha Road (dirt road), from Fuller Road to Taboose Creek Road, CLOSED due to flooding. Date closed 6/20/17
• Goodale Creek Road , from Aberdeen Resort to the Goodale Creek Campground, CLOSED due to flooding. Date closed: 6/21/17
• Onion Valley Road, above Seven Pines, CLOSED – due to potential for flooding. Date closed: 6/20/17
• Seven Pines cabin community, west of Independence, road CLOSED due to runoff crossing the bridge. Date closed: 6/20/17
• North Lake Road, CLOSED due to runoff related road damage. Date closed: 6/17/17 • Brockman Lane, between 395 and Dixon Lane, CLOSED due to flooding (runoff crossing road). Date closed 6/2/17
• FLOODED / USE CAUTION: South Round Valley Road is flooded – not currently closed - anyone requiring access to this area is advised to use extreme caution.